Hello! Happy Friday! I'm sorry, I'm bringing you yet another fitness post this week. BUT, a lot of ladies have been asking about my workouts and any tips I have for beginners, so I thought I'd just bang it out and do a quick post with one of my workouts and some tips!
So, this is one of my favorite ab/hip/oblique exercises lately. My hips are one of my biggest problem areas, and this hits them hard. It really works out the whole side of your body, including the outer thigh as well. I can feel my hips just melting away. ;) I do 2-3 reps of 25 on each side.
I feel like I've been at this fitness game on and off for the past 2-3 years. I've learned a lot from my sister (who is a personal trainer, marathon runner, fitness competition gal... you get it) and want to just share a few things I've learned from her and others over the last couple years.
1. A lot of girls think that lifting heavy will somehow turn you into The Rock. I promise, it won't. In fact, lifting a little bit heavier will just help bulk those myscles and actually make your body tighter and look smaller. Obviously you don't want to start off lifting really heavy or injure yourself, but find a weight you can lift 8-10 reps with.
2. It's a common misconception that lots of cardio equals lots of calories burned which equals weight loss. This is true, but actually 20-30 minutes of high intensity cardio will benefit you more than 60+ minutes of moderate intensity cardio. After 30 minutes or so, your body will start burning muscle instead of burning fat. For high intensity cardio, if you're 20 years old, your heart rate should be at or around 160. For every 10 years after that, just subtract 8 from that number (like if you're 30, your heart rate should be 152).
3. Lastly, don't always believe what Pinterest tells you. That 30-day ab challenge? Yeah, you're not going to get anywhere if your diet is crap. You can workout those abs for hours on end, but if you're still eating burgers and fries, it's not going to get you very far. Working out is only 30% of it, the rest of that 70% is in the kitchen. Fruits, veggies, protein, vitamins... your body needs that healthy fuel in order to build muscle.
I hope these tips are helpful! And don't worrry, I pretty much learned all these lessons the hard way. I've been there. Anyway, hope you guys have a wonderful Friday and weekend!


  1. I love doing those oblique things! I usually just hold a weight plate to my chest. But I haven't done them in forever.... :/ haha. I've learned the eating thing the hard way too. I'm usually much better at working out than eating super healthy


  2. awesome tips! i wish i had more will power to work out :P

  3. Thank you so much for posting this!! I always wondered about cardio and how long you actually need to do it. I just wish the healthy diet part was easier.

    Great post! Very helpful!

  4. i loooved this post Jody! i def have been trying to do more high intense workouts and keep meaning to start doing weights again, so thanks for the inspiration. although, i do have one little thing- your hips aren't a problem area girl, you have gorgeous full hips! i had to add that bcuz my hubs has gotten me to finally love my big hips : ).

  5. That's really a good article, workout is the best option to lose love handle but as well as diet also a main factor to lose love handle without diet suppliment workout isnt work to lose love handle.... Click Here to Know More


Thank you so much for your comment! Your support means the world to me!